Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: Elsie Dinsmore

Hi everyone!

(This post does have spoilers for the first Elsie Dinsmore book.)

So as you might know, I am not very good at book reviews. But I wanted to do one today! So to make it easier for me and more enjoyable for you, I'm going to make a list of stuff to fill out about the book I'm reviewing. Tel me what you think. Do you like "Pros and Cons" better, or this?

Anyway, here we go!

Name: Elsie Dinsmore by Martha Finley

Description: Living with her uncle's family on a southern plantation in the mid-nineteenth century, motherless eight-year-old Elsie finds it difficult to establish a relationship with her worldy father who seems indifferent to her religious principles.

Hated, Liked, or Loved?: Liked 

How long of a read?: It took me a couple days.

Age Recommendation: Girls 10+

Thoughts: I had tried Elsie Dinsmore once before a few years ago - and hated it. It was long, it was sad, and I couldn't really understand it too well because it was written so long ago and I was reading it in the original text. But a couple days ago I was looking for something else to read while I was waiting for my latest Trixie Belden to come in the mail and I found it. I decided to give it another try. 
It was really good! It is a Christ-centered story set in the 19oos. Elsie loves Jesus and reads her Bible constantly, and strives to be good like him. When her father finally returns, there are a number of scenarios between her and him until he finally learns to love her. 
Oh my goodness. It was a good book, but it was so outdated! There were sentences like this: 
"O! miss Adelaide;" and other ones like that.  It also used words which made it difficult for me to understand when I was little. And like books sometimes do, it left off kind of like another chapter was going to start but it was really the end of the novel. Then you have to go buy the second one to find out what happens. Ugh. 
Anyway, aside from that it was a very very very good book with good morals and an interesting plot. I would recommend this book to a friend. :)

Rating: 
 I give it four and a half stars out of five.

So I hope you enjoyed this! :)

~Lydia~ <3

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! Sometimes we have to reread books in order to understand them-- or love them! I had to do that for The Fault In Our Stars, and a lot of the YA books I have read I need to reread because I still don't understand them.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I accidentally deleted your last comment, sorry! It wasn't anything you said, I just pressed the wrong button. ;)

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  2. I love the Elsie Dinsmore series books!!!! I hope you check out my blog and follow it by email!! creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com
    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, cool! I thought the first one very good and I will be borrowing the second one from our church library this Sunday...they have the whole series!
      I hopped over to your blog and followed it! Keep up the good work. :)

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete

"Kindness in words creates confidence."

Back To Top
Designed By Hello Manhattan