Friday, February 19, 2016

1940's Week - My Dream 40's Wardrobe

Hey guys!

So Rose at An Old Fashioned Girl is having a 1940's week! I thought I'd join in by writing a post on the list of topics she gave that anyone could possibly post about. Being the vintage fashion geek I am, I thought I would list my dream 1940's-style wardrobe. :)

And now, behold - my pattern notebook.

This notebook I got at Walmart for around seven dollars. I was contemplating what to do with it, when I finally realized I needed a place to put all my patterns as well as write down the ones on my wishlist. 

It has three tabs, one is for my wishlist, one is for my inventory of patterns I have at the moment, and the third tab still needs to be filled in. I'm not sure what to use it for just now. 

This is my inventory. It has the pattern brand, identifying number, and then the year/estimated decade it came out in. I have out of print patterns, and reproductions count as well. 


Okay, so here is my dream 1940's wardrobe with links to my favorite 40s patterns I have written down from the amazing Vintage Patterns Wikia.

McCall's 7175  - This one is from 1948. It has a beautiful gather at the front and is a lovely, sophisticated looking dress. 
Vogue 3209 - This dress is from 1948, as well. It has very pretty detailing at the neckline and it is very long and full. 
Vogue 3115 - I do not like the hood on this pattern from 1946, but I've always been a fan of waistcoats, especially paired with a 50's-style circle skirt! 
Simplicity 2473 - Yet another pattern from 1948. It's very similar to Vogue 3209, as it has the same type of detailing at the neck. One of the differences is that it buttons up at the front. 
Advance 4759  - Can you guess what year this one is from? ;) This is probably my favorite out of all of them. The blouse looks very Springy, and I love the way the outfit looks with the belt. 
Simplicity 4639 - This is the oldest pattern I've written down, as it's from 1943! I love the pockets on the jacket, but I like the looks of 3/4 sleeves better than short ones. I especially like this outfit with gloves! 

Those are the 1940's patterns I have written down on my wishlist and would love to make and wear sometime! 

Thanks for reading! :) 

~Lydia~ <3 
**I know that my pattern posts don't get the most comments, so sorry if this isn't really your thing. :P But it's a passion of mine and something I really enjoy, and I'm blogging for me the most. So yeah, expect more posts like this in the future. :)**

14 comments:

  1. This is really helpful, because I've been trying to incorperate more vintage type pieces into my wardrobe and have been raiding the pattern sections! This Summer I hope to make a floral twirl dress, because twirls are essential.
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, twirls are essential. ;D

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  2. I have the same notebook!!!! Too cool. ;)
    Oh, I'd never really thought of collecting vintage patterns. That's great, Lydia!! I'm planning to make a 40's-ish dress soon, but I haven't find a pattern that is exactly what I want. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, cool! :D
      Thanks! It started when I found out my mom had ordered a few of them off Ebay just for fun and I've been collecting them ever since. :)
      Oooh, cool! Once you finish it, I'd love to see pictures. :)

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  3. I like your notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you own all those patterns? They look really pretty.
    I really want to learn to sew so I can make my own 40's dresses, but it's quite a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own these yet, but hopefully I will soon! ;)
      Sewing is so much fun! You can make whatever you want if you can't find exactly what you need in-store.

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  5. I have a growing collection of patterns from the early 1940's. I blogged about my vintage collection here: http://sewcharacteristicallyyou.weebly.com/blog/my-vintage-pattern-collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love seeing the pattern collections of other people. :)

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  6. What a cool way to stay organized! I envy your pattern collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. -looks at 1940's stuff- -thinks of Narnia- -pictures an 18 inch doll modeled after Lucy- -dies-

    ReplyDelete

"Kindness in words creates confidence."

Back To Top
Designed By Hello Manhattan