Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Ten Commandments (1956) - Movie Review

Hey guys!

Today I'm going to be reviewing the movie The Ten Commandments 1956.

Synopsis: Enjoying a life of ease in the court of Egypt's pharaoh, Moses (Charlton Heston) discovers his Hebrew heritage and, later, God's plan for him. He dedicates his himself to liberating his people from captivity and - with the aid of plagues and divine intervention - manages to lead them out of Egypt and across the Red Sea. A greater challenge comes in the form of a golden calf idol, however, and it is only help from The Lord that allows Moses's mission to prevail.

                                                                ---
I watched this movie because I am reading Exodus right now, and it looked like the only clean and family-friendly adaptations I could find...that wasn't animated....
I really enjoyed it. I think the casting was great, and everyone was really convincing in the parts that they played.
Overall, they did a good job portraying the story as it was portrayed in The Bible. Of course, they romanticized and dramatized it, but it didn't stray too far from the story.
The ending was a bit choppy and abrupt - maybe instead of skipping ahead forty years they could have ended it with the Israelites starting their journey through the desert? Basically the narrator said that the entire generation that had sinned by worshiping the golden calf had been weeded out and then they had wandered through the desert for 40 years, not giving much other explanation - like where they were going, or why Moses was staying behind.
The movie was clean for the most part (there were a few references, if you know what I mean, but they were only references in speech. Nothing else).
What I really appreciated about this movie was that they acknowledged that this story is from the Bible. They didn't just cut it all up into little pieces and pick out the parts that might be good for a movie (like battles and whipping and all that). A friend of mine went to watch one of those new Bible movies (Exodus), she said they mentioned God like, once. Big deal. The people in the movie actually mentioned God, believed in The Lord, praised and acknowledged Him. And in the beginning credits, they clearly state it is based off of God's Holy Word, the Bible. I appreciate that!

Overall, I give this movie four stars out of five. There were a few parts of it I wasn't really a fan of, but I liked it. I would recommend The Ten Commandments! 

~Lydia~ <3

10 comments:

  1. I watched this movie once with my older brother when I was like fifteen I think...and I remember liking it. But there were some problematic outfits. I'll just say Egyptians weren't known for modesty apparently. That aside, from what I can remember, it was a good movie. Maybe its time for me to watch it again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I kind of expected that. :P Usually in movies like this there are always immodest outfits. xD
      If you do, I hope you enjoy it! :3

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I grew up on this movie! Despite the fact that it is really long, Charleton Heston made a great Moses. You're right-- it's so fantastic because of the Scripture and blatant presentation as a Bible story. I love all the colors, the plagues, and whenever it shows the entire nation of Israel. While it's definitely got the short tunics, sheer dresses, and extra girlfriends, I expect that ;-) One of my favorites! I've loved the name Zipporah ever since I was little because of this movie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it was a wonderful movie! :D

      ~Lydia` <3

      Delete
  3. we've watched this so many times. It is good, although I sort of laugh to see some of the 1950's accents.
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I know what you mean about those new "Bible" movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I don't know how they are even classified as "Bible movies". 9_9

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  5. Nice review, Lydia! This was a pretty good movie. :)

    ~Gemma

    ReplyDelete

"Kindness in words creates confidence."

Back To Top
Designed By Hello Manhattan