Saturday, May 7, 2016

TV Shows and Movies ~ Thoughts -1-

Hey guys!

So I'm starting this new blog series called "Thoughts". It's pretty self-explanatory - I'll post my thoughts (which will mostly be a little disjointed) on random topics, more often than not about more serious stuff than what I usually post.

So, my first topic is modern TV shows and movies. Awhile back I posted a post on my answers to my screenshot game a joke about how I don't like most modern media, and a couple people got really upset at me for that. So before I get into this I would like to say - I'm not bashing all modern media. I love shows like America's Got Talent, Jill and Jessa: Counting On, a ton of Food Network shows (#dontjudge)...the list goes on. I'm just talking about the many, many shows and movies made recently that do have I-don't-want-to-watch-that content. (*coughcoughhuluorgiginalscoughcough*)

So yeah. Let's get started. :3 (WARNING: This post will most likely be disjointed, all over the place and mainly rambling about how messed-up the world is. Just saying. XD) ALSO, the screenshots used in this post are not in any way related to the actual writing below them. They are just pretty pictures of movies I like/want to see.


  • Why do people think movies have to have language, drugs, alcohol and questionable content to be enjoyable? 
Why? Think of the many modern shows that don't have those things. Take When Calls the Heart, for example. It's a show I love and watch all the time (although it is a little cheesy, I'm going to admit), and it's very successful.

Yet so many shows have the things I mentioned in my little professional-like bullet-point, and they are successful too. I'm sure they would be just as if they removed the language that people in the show spit out every five seconds. Would it actually remove anything from the show? Does the cursing move the plot along? No.

It's just something the script writers add in because they think people like it and it conveys the characters' emotions quite well. It doesn't. It just shows you are too lazy to get the actors to have facial expressions or use the other million words in the English language. The same goes for questionable content.


  • Why do people think that movies and TV shows have to have blood and violence to be enjoyable? 
Hehe, now you might think that I'm being a hypocrite here. I watch shows like Star Trek TOS, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and The Wild Wild West all the time - they all have violence, guns and death. But these shows handle everything well - it's tastefully shown and described. A lot of modern action shows do not tastefully show these elements. There's plenty of horror, gore, and shooting.

Action shows such as Mission: Impossible and Columbo ran for years. Columbo has murder mysteries, but they never actually show the murder and it's more of a who-dunit let's get the evidence kind of thing. It was an extremely popular show. Mission: Impossible does have guns, but it's centered more around completing the mission - not shooting people. It ran for seven years.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is; if you're going to make an action show, tone it down a little! Action movies can take off without extreme gore and violence.

All-in-all, I think directors make media like this because people watch it. It sells well. And, to be honest, that is actually really sad.

As Christians it is our job to not watch these things, to be a light unto the world and only allow ourselves to watch and hear things that are pleasing to The Lord.

So yeah, that's my first "Thoughts" post! If you feel obliged please leave your thoughts on this topic in the comment section - it's completely fine if you disagree with me and let me know! (Of course, be respectful :))

~Lydia~ <3

11 comments:

  1. So THAT'S what you meant! I also agree that so much TV shows just throw around cusses and stuff like that! But they also had that in the 1950's and 1970's too (But much less) so no era is perfect. from your good friend from AGH ~Fiona~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you can scroll through movies from the 1940's, 50's, wherever and there will be unclean content. I'm just asking why the heck do you HAVE to put that in to satisfy people? Is it really that necessary? No, it's not!

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
    2. Well that's why KIDS movies and TV shows exists! Like Disney and American girl movies! No swearing or suggestive content!

      Delete
    3. True. :) It's hard to find clean TV shows, though, that aren't like Nick Jr. or something. XD

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  2. i agree <3 TOTALLY. so proud of ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is amazing! This really puts my thoughts into words. I'm so glad I found your blog. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    Simple Sentiments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Hannah! :)

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  4. I think that a lot of gore is unnecessary in modern shows. There's this show called "The 100", for example, and it's about the future of the human race. I was hoping for something positive like with Star Trek, where currency doesn't exist and humanity travels the stars, but unfortunately, it gives a negative idea of what our future might look like.

    I don't mind any of the swearing, though. Shows are meant to show realistic characters. But it has to match the period of time. Characters in things such as Narnia shouldn't swear (and they don't) but it's accurate to show characters in, let's say, Grease, using foul language because that was the truth of the day.

    ReplyDelete

"Kindness in words creates confidence."

Back To Top
Designed By Hello Manhattan