Friday, June 17, 2016

Houses (or; why I don't like HGTV)

Hello!



Pinterest is really bad for me. All these pictures of gorgeous bedrooms and perfectly clean, newly remodeled kitchens and up-to-date living rooms make me want all these things I just can't have.

YouTube is bad for me - especially with YouTubers like Brooklyn and Bailey (not hating on them, love their videos, just giving an example). When I see how many times they have updated their room over the last 3 years (around once a year) it makes me really, really want to update mine.

Minimalist/decluttering blogs are actually bad for me. While they are supposed to motivate you and make you see what your house can be if you just get rid of enough stuff, let's face it, my bedroom will never look exactly like theirs.

HGTV is really bad for me. I never really liked this channel in the first place, but whenever I watch something like House Hunters or Property Brothers it's the same old thing.
-Clean lines.
-Open concept.
-Huge master bedroom.
-Vaulted ceilings.
-Walk-in closets.
-Granite countertops.

It makes you feel like if you don't have these things, you need to remodel immediately. I mean, look at all those renovation shows. Not open concept? Ooooh, horrible, ooooohhhhhhh, look at this master bedroom without a master bathroom ahhhhhhh how horrible, look at these carpeted floors WHAT IS LIFE CARPETED FLOORS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE WORLD IS ENDING.

I dunno, I just think shows like this exist just to make you feel guilty about your own house because it's not "up-to-date" and to get you to spend more money. :P

I guess my point is:

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' " -Hebrews 13:5

 If you don't have the money to re-do your bedroom or update your kitchen, that's okay.

~Lydia~ <3

8 comments:

  1. Loved this post, Lydia! Very thoughtful and truthful. I do love the minimalistic look and clean and simple rooms too, but I agree, if what you have right now is something you love, there should be no reason for you to go change it just because someone else says different. I'm actually hoping to renovate my room in a few months (For the first time in YEARS...agh my room seriously DOES need a makeover =) and I'm hoping to go really clean and simple. But I believe that everyone should be grateful and content with what they have as well <3 enjoyed hearing your thoughts!

    xx autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...if you just can't update your room, you shouldn't be obligated to do it just because of whatever a renovation channel says. :P But if you can and you like the minimalistic look, by all means go for it! :D

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with this post! I also dislike HGTV because my favorite style of house would never be accepted on there - there was this old Victorian couch they threw out, but agh it was so gorgeous!!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The houses they look at and the things they dislike about the houses are some of my favorite things about it. People just don't seem to like character or charm anymore. And the people that are looking for character usually just want molded ceilings. XD

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  3. Wow totally something I needed after watching a room tour. I totally agree with you. Let's just be thankful. We don't even deserve anything.
    Ellie R.
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tagged you for the It's Showtime Tag!! If you're interested, you can see my post here: http://fireflysstoryspace.blogspot.com/2016/05/it-show-time-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. There are ways to redo your room without spending a lot of cash. You have to be creative and find materials around the house to repurpose. Like making the magazine holders out of cereal boxes and duct or washi tape (or paint or contact paper or modge podge).

    ReplyDelete

"Kindness in words creates confidence."

Back To Top
Designed By Hello Manhattan