Sunday, July 31, 2016

VBS 2016

Hello!

This past week I volunteered for VBS at our church. VBS stands for Vacation Bible School and is a week-long program for kids ages Pre-K through 5th grade. Our church has a really big program. This year we had around 85 kids.

I volunteered to help out with the 2nd grade group. I got paired with a girl I had never met before (she was really nice) and a friend of mine. And then our leader, of course (who I actually was with last year, as well).

It was so rewarding and fun, so I thought I'd share a few stories and experiences. :)

The first day everybody had to get into the routine. I met the kids, who were all really sweet (even a couple difficult ones weren't that bad). We had a new theme for each day, so the first was one that "God gives us hope!". We led the kids around to the different stations around the church - games, Bible, crafts, and snack.

Whenever the kids ask you to do something, it is literally SO rewarding. When they want piggybacks or play with your hair, or beg you to participate in games because they really like you. :)

The third day I met a girl who seemed to really take a liking to me. At the end of the day, when her mom came to pick her up, she mentioned that she apparently really liked me.

And on the fifth and final day, she handed me an envelope all closed up with My Little Pony duct-tape. I opened it at the end of the day and it was a letter. IT WAS SO CUTE, YOU GUYS!!!!!!! She said she really liked me and I felt like a sister to her. :D I was asked about babysitting by her mom, too (which I didn't really feel comfortable with at my age, but perhaps next year).

Actually there's a funny story because of the letter. After VBS I went to show all my friend in the hospitality room, the place where the workers take breaks and get a snack during the day. Everyone always gathers there once VBS is finished. xD

Anyway. my friend (Friend 1) was holding the letter and a boy from my Sunday School class was reading it over her shoulder. My other friend (Friend 2) was walking around and pouring little bits of water on peoples' heads from a paper cup. (Don't ask me why, no idea xD)

Friend 2 proceeded to do it to Friend 1. She was so startled she took her elbow and stabbed the boy with it, and he collapsed on the ground. (For show, of course, don't worry XD).

He thought it was the boy, but it was actually Friend 2! Friend 1 clapped her hands over her mouth and started apologizing over and over. Then we all burst out laughing as we watched him rolling around on the carpet and groaning (once again, for show. Boys 9.9)

So yeah, that's VBS and my funny story. XD Congrats if you read through this entire thing! *claps*

I wish I could show you pictures, but it has the kids in it as well and I don't think their parents would appreciate me putting their faces on the internet. :P

Thanks for reading!

~Lydia~ <3

15 comments:

  1. Aww this sounds like such a fun experience!! I know when I was a kid VBS was always something I looked forward to. ESPECIALLY THE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES ack. I think that's where I got my love for them =) And the little girl sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always enjoyed VBS when I was younger. You got ice cream sandwiches? Now I'm jealous. ;)
      She was!

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like you had a great week! And oh my goodness, the letter the little girl gave you, SO cute!!! :D

    And haha, enjoyed the letter-water-pouring story ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was adorable!! :D
      Haha, that's good! I got a good laugh out of it. ;)

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  3. Sounds fun! We had VBS this week too. The kids are always cute. My favorite part of it is playing with the little kids. They're so sweet!
    Ellie R.
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Yeah, they are really cute. :D

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  4. I love VBS... it is so much fun! That story was pretty funny, too - thanks for sharing, Lydia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for reading!

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  5. *what?* I just helped out with VBS last week too! :P
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that little girl sounds adorable! Kids who pretty much look up to you and love you whole-heartedly is one of the sweetest things in life. You just unapologetically smile (unaplolgetically in the good way)!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they are so sweet and cute. :3

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete
  7. Ahhh, it sounds like you had so much fun! THAT GIRL IS SO CUTE.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast! :D
      She was adorable!!! ;3

      ~Lydia~ <3

      Delete

"Kindness in words creates confidence."

Back To Top
Designed By Hello Manhattan